CCSI not only helps connect local level partners to experts, staff works across the state to locate “non-competing” venues and events, making the most of a speaker’s time and expertise. One example: the January/February Phil Needham Tour. Three events, three counties, two days.
- Phil Needham has worked directly with producers, dealers, researchers, chemical companies and wheat agronomists within the U.S. and Canada since 2006 through his business, Needham Ag Technologies, LLC.
- He is a Master of equipment set-up and modifications.
- Needham received a No-Till Innovator Award in 2016 and was awarded a slot on the World’s 25 Living No-Till Legends in 2017.
- Residue Management
- Planter and Drill Setup
- Key aspects to equipment modifications or setup when practicing soil health practices such as no-till and cover crops.
Multiple Stops, Different Audiences
Rather than bringing Phil in for a one-off event, CCSI organized a series of three very different events over 2 days:
- Tipton-Howard County SWCDs successful Soil Health Series workshops: a smaller sized learning experience geared towards farmers and others newer to Soil Health practices.
- An Equipment Set-up for Soil Health Clinic, hosted by Purdue Extension, USDA-NRCS, and the Tipton, Howard, and Clinton County SWCDs
- A roundtable hosted by Mike Starkey, Hendricks county farmer and SWCD Supervisor. These small roundtables provide a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on speakers with great name recognition – in a format that is made for discussion and questions… as opposed to lecturing.
If you’ve not had the opportunity to see Phil in person, check out some of his videos!